2004 Apr 29 15:11

[vox] Australian Computer Society

Saw an interesting tid-bit go past the news ticker.  Whipped up something
for Slashdot.  Not sure if it'll get accepted, so figured I'd not waste it
and post it here, for posterity. ;^)

The Australian Computer Society [ http://www.acs.org.au/ ] is going to
release an open source policy document later this year, calling for
the adoption of open source technologies by Australian government
entities and the private sector.  Along with the typical arguments --
lower costs, better stability, choice and control -- ACS's
Open Source Experts Group [ http://opensource.org.au/oseg/ ]
also argues that the use of Open Source is necessary for Australia to
"remain competitive in the global software scene."

Article at Syndey Morning Herald:

  http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/29/1083103604961.html

Enjoy!