2004 Apr 28 11:35

Re: [vox] What would you include?

Richard Crawford wrote:
Jonathan Stickel said:

I actually don't see GNUWin's large program set as being a problem.  I
understand the potential of being overwhelmed, but the html interface of
GNUWin does a good job with keeping it under control and guiding the
user.  You may want to highlight the more significant programs (Mozilla,
OpenOffice.org) either with a separate handout or written on the CD
label.  If you are handing out a CD, it might as well be full!

Actually, you might be right; there will be people there ranging from
complete computer newbies to at least one Windows NT administrator who's
interested in learning a bit more.

Is there any way to know what's currently on the CD version, or see a
screenshot of the html interface?  I've only ever downloaded programs
straight from the site.

Look here for a list of what's on the cd: http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/gnuwin.epfl.ch/iso/readme.html (one of the mirrors). They've added a "bonus" cd now for stuff that didn't fit on the regular cd, but I think all the good stuff is on the first CD.

The CD interface is basically the same as GNUWin's webpage interface.
The difference is when you browse to a particular program, you have a "install" link rather than a "download" link. The install link brings you to the exe file to install the program.

Jonathan