2004 Apr 28 10:31

Re: [vox] What would you include?

Trevor Lango wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Crawford [mailto:rscrawford@mossroot.com] Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 9:40 AM
To: vox@lists.lugod.org
Subject: [vox] What would you include?

I'm giving a talk next week to a bunch of library students about open source software. As part of that talk, I thought I'd create some CD's with some Windows-friendly OSS software like Mozilla, etc. Something like GNU-Win, but without so many programs that won't get used -- I don't want to intimidate anyone.

If you were burning such a CD, what would you include? My immediate thought is to include...

1. Mozilla
2. Thunderbird
3. OpenOffice.org

Anything else?

And how easy would it be to create such a CD? Is it just as simple as including the installation files on the CD?

TheOpenCD sounds like a good candidate...? (http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/)
It is like GnuWinII but with far less packages.

I actually don't see GNUWin's large program set as being a problem. I understand the potential of being overwhelmed, but the html interface of GNUWin does a good job with keeping it under control and guiding the user. You may want to highlight the more significant programs (Mozilla, OpenOffice.org) either with a separate handout or written on the CD label. If you are handing out a CD, it might as well be full!

I have not tried TheOpenCD, but it does look like a viable option. I'm curious what user interface it has, if any.

Jonathan