2004 Apr 26 18:29

Re: [vox] When did Linux start using MD5?

Nicole TWN <ana.ng@tmbg.org> writes:
> Hi everyone
>
> Anyone know, offhand, when any major Linux distro started supporting
> MD5-hashed passwords?  (I'm commenting on a memo that claims RH 7.3
> uses a non-MD5 hash; my contention is that MD5 was available, at least
> as an option, for years and years.)

Hi Nicole,

I found the answers to your question for Redhat on google groups.  See
the q=[...]& part of the queries below to see what I searched for.

   Redhat 4.0 had bits in place for future MD5 passwords.
   http://groups.google.com/groups?q=md5+passwords+redhat+4.0&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=cola-liw-844411991-29247-0%40liw.clinet.fi&rnum=1

   Redhat 4.1 had beta support for MD5 passwords.
   http://groups.google.com/groups?q=redhat+linux+4.1+md5+password&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=pgpmoose.199702070204.15130%40liw.clinet.fi&rnum=1

   Redhat 4.2 had full support for MD5 passwords.
   http://groups.google.com/groups?q=redhat+linux+4.2+md5+password&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=pycola.864277983.26302%40liw.clinet.fi&rnum=1

Cheers,
--
Ricardo Anguiano