2004 Apr 23 17:58

Re: [vox] Something like GNUWinII, but for Macs?

Re: [vox] Something like GNUWinII, but for Macs?

Bill Kendrick wrote:

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:30:48PM -0700, Dave Margolis wrote:
<snip>
These guy make a couple of CDs similar to what you're describing: http://www.bsdmall.com/darwin.html
However, fink (apt port for OS X) sort of makes this sort of CD silly, unless you're using dialup

Well, so is handing out GNUWinII discs, then. ;^)  The point is, people
are probably much more willing to pop a disc in to try it out
(ooh! shiny free disc!) than to go gathering up apps on the net.

I didn't mean fink made the CD idea silly, I meant fink made paying $40 for the BSDMall disk silly.

We kinda need to force things down people's throat, ESPECIALLY in the
cases where we're trying to wean them off the bullcrap that's preinstalled
(e.g., Internet Explorer!)

I agree, plus IE for the Mac is so crappy. Safari, which is based partly on Mozilla (for the UI) and partly on Konquerer (KHTML is the HTML engine) is pretty slick, but Netscape/Mozilla are still the best choices for the Mac (IMHO).

<snip>

I'd be happy to do this, but there are some problems. X11 is required for a lot of stuff, and you have to install that from the mysterious 3rd OS X cd (the "developer tools") which most Mac users have never taken out of the wrapper. This is not required for Mozilla, but would be for OOo or the Gimp. You'd have to provide some kind of documentation. Any thoughts on how best to do this?

<snip>

Would it be against the license to INCLUDE it [X11] on our own disc?

Good question. Another alternative would be to include XDarwin: http://www.xdarwin.org/, which is a totally free X implementation for the Mac, and can be made (with a little more work) to play nice with OOo, Gimp, all the fink apps, etc.

Or am I going too far here by suggesting we put together and maintaining
our own disc?

Not a bad idea, but it would need to be tested, and I don't know if you'll have that ready by WEF.

Perhaps a pamphlet with useful info might be suitable for the Mac users.

That's a really good idea. Like I mentioned, it might be nice to let the average Mac user (who already knows he/she is anti-MS) that they are also part of the good fight for open source/open standards/free software/etc. This page has some good propaganda: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/ (there is an X11 link there too if you want more info on that).