2004 Apr 21 20:03

[vox] MS California Settlement in the news

[vox] MS California Settlement in the news

Few Takers For Microsoft's Settlement Cash

  According to this article on SiliconValley.com very few claims have
  been received to claim money from a Microsoft antitrust settlement in
  California.  Only about 4% of the estimated 14 million eligible
  California consumers have bothered to file a claim till now.
  The deadline for filing claims is officially April 28 but is likely to be
  pushed back into May or June.  Either, consumers have found the claims
  process too confusing, time-consuming and discouraging to keep them
  from making a claim or they are waiting till the last minute to
  file(like taxes).  According to the settlement one-third of the
  unclaimed money will be kept by Microsoft and the rest will be given
  to Californian schools.

The deadline was already pushed back once.  For those of you who've
attended LUGOD (or probably other LUG) meetings recently, you might
have noticed the little mini $100-bills we had out.  This is what they
were about.

If anyone wants any to hand out to friends before the deadline
comes up, feel free to contact me privately and you can grab a bunch from me.

(Thanks to Paul Miller for putting them together and printing them up!)