2004 Apr 17 23:53

[vox] Demo wrap-up

LUGOD held a demo at the Davis Food Co-Op today from 2pm to 6pm.
Mike Simons and Daphne Paraes showed up early to set up the demo box,
and then headed off to catch a few hours of Picnic Day at UC Davis.

Jonathan Stickel came by with a laptop and helped me demo between 2pm and 4pm,
and then had to take off.  Tim Ellis came by at one point to drop of a
donation of 300 blank CDRs, and Scot Albert helped us out by lending a
PS/2 mouse for the demo machine, while I waited for Mike to come back and
get the USB one working. ;^)

I brought a stack of Knoppix discs, freshly mailed to me by Tim Riley.
All 10 copies were given out to interested parties.  Today's demo was
actually quite a bit better than last month's, and I was very pleased!

I gave out a few Tux Paint brochures, and a lot of OSS-for-Windows ones.
A few people asked why people write Open Source software, and we tried our
best to answer.  They seemed to accept our reasoning (e.g., "because it's
fun"), and took some handouts. ;^)

When Mike and Daphne showed back up (around 4:30pm or 5pm), they started
dueling each other at Frozen Bubble, and that drew the attention of some
older kids (8-15yo range).  So I made sure we handed them some handouts,
too. ;^)  (Hey!  Frozen Bubble runs on Windows, too!  Gotta love Perl!)

Finally, one guy was so happy to get a Knoppix disc and find out about
all this, that he gave us a $3 buck donation. :^)

This'll be our last demo for a while (June will be next, at the earliest),
since we'll be at WEF (and maybe GTC?!) next month!

Thanks to everyone who showed up or helped out with today's demo!