2004 Apr 11 01:40

[vox] More volunteers needed for Whole Earth!

[vox] More volunteers needed for Whole Earth!

LUGOD will have a booth at Whole Earth Festival (at UC Davis) once again.

This year's WEF will take place from Friday May 7th through Sunday, May 9th.
(I don't know the exact hours, but Friday should begin in the afternoon,
while Saturday and Sunday are day-long.)

The WEF page is here:
  http://wef.ucdavis.edu/

I also recently updated the WEF page at LUGOD.org:
  http://www.lugod.org/projects/wef/

Here's what we need:

  (1) More volunteers!
  (2) Chairs
  (3) Computers            (laptops; can probably do desktop, too!)
  (4) CDROMs to hand out!  (e.g., Knoppix, GNUWinII, OpenOffice.org)
  (5) Handouts             (what's Linux?  what's Open Source?  who's LUGOD?)

And here's the current status:

  (1) Volunteers we have lined up so far include:

      * Me                (Sat and Sun; though maybe not all of both days)
      * Mike Simons       (Saturday, Sunday and maybe Friday)
      * Jonathan Stickel  (not sure which day(s))
      * Trevor Lango      (Saturday; possibly Sunday)

  (2) As for chairs, it might be possible for LUGOD to purchase a few
      folding ones to have for events like this.  I'll talk to Henry and the
      other officers for approval.

  (3) LUGOD has a number of demo computers in various forms of
      functionality.  I'll check with Mike Simons as to whether we can get
      something suitable for WEF out here and working well before Friday of
      that week.

  (4) I have a small stack of Knoppix discs, but nothing else.  (Well,
      lots of Oracle, but that doesn't seem appropriate for our booth at WEF.
      It'd be better for GTC :^) )

  (5) LUGOD can manage handouts (we have some already, and I'm
      planning on making more; Kinkos gave us a 25% discount card that's
      good for all of 2004)!

So, if you can volunteer, or if you can burn discs for this event, please
don't hestitate to let me know! :^)

Thanks!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org