2004 Mar 24 11:45

Re: [vox] (OT) Online Banking Using Mozilla

on Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:42:28PM -0800, Michael Wenk (wenk@praxis.homedns.org) wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 March 2004 04:12 pm, Marc Elliot Hall wrote:

> > I've used Wells Fargo online banking for quite a while now. Until today,
> > I've been able to login and access all functions using Mozilla on
> > Windows 98 and Windows 2000, as well as using KDE and GNOME on Linux.
> > Never had trouble. (In the past, I've also sucessfully used Konqueror,
> > although not recently.)

> > Has anyone else experienced this kind of reluctance on the part of large
> > corporations to support standards? If you have, have you taken or
> > considered taking action quickly so that Linux users are not left without
> > a wide selection of online banking resources?
>
> I don't blame them in the least.  Look at the # of customers actually
> using the software on a non IE browser vs the # of customers using it
> via IE, and it should be patently obvious where a company will spend
> its QA manhours in.  That being I would think someone there would have
> made an effort to get it working using other browsers, but to
> officially support it?  I would be surprised if it was.

Yes, but...

...when was the last time you heard of a site designed to work with a
standards compliant browser -- Mozilla, Konqueror, Opera, Galeon, etc.
-- that broke MSIE?

The truth is:  building to standards, with perhaps cosmetic changes to
suite MSIE, is a far better return for global coverage and
future-proofing the website.

> And in truth, were a company to spend a lot of time and energy getting
> web software to work on many different browsers ...

False premesis.

Peace.

    WAIT TILL I GET GOING! Where was I?
    Australia.