2004 Mar 23 16:43

Re: [vox] (OT) Online Banking Using Mozilla

Re: [vox] (OT) Online Banking Using Mozilla

I have had the same or similar problem with MBNA. I let it slide because they don't have any email or web based help system, but maybe now I'll be motivated enough to actually call.

Actual message with Mozilla 1.6 or Firefox 0.8:
*Browser Upgrade Required**

*We have detected that your browser is an older version of Netscape. You must upgrade to Netscape Navigator 6.2 or later.

Marc Elliot Hall wrote:

I've used Wells Fargo online banking for quite a while now. Until today,
I've been able to login and access all functions using Mozilla on
Windows 98 and Windows 2000, as well as using KDE and GNOME on Linux. Never had trouble. (In the past, I've also sucessfully used Konqueror, although not recently.)

However, today when attempting to access my account information from a
Win2k machine at work, my connection was refused. At first, I thought
they were having ssl issues or something; but when the problem persisted
for several hours (and when I was able to log in sucessfully using Internet Explorer), I guessed that this was a policy change rather than a
technical issue.
To see if my concern that Mozilla not be refused could be addressed, I filled out a tech support request (using Mozilla! Apparently, only the ssl stuff is restricted...) but received no reply after several hours. I then called their customer support number (800-956-4442, for the curious) to ask what was up.
Essentially, I was told that Wells Fargo only supports Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, and Safari. After some discussion, the third tech with whom I spoke actually sounded convinced that *he* should be using Mozilla instead of IE... but my issue remains unresolved. I asked that my inquiry about the support for *standards-based* browsers be escalated, and was told that it would be; further, I was told that he would "have someone call [me] back".
Has anyone else experienced this kind of reluctance on the part of large
corporations to support standards? If you have, have you taken or considered taking action quickly so that Linux users are not left without
a wide selection of online banking resources?