2004 Mar 23 15:09

Re: [vox] Printer recommendation

on Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 01:20:45PM -0800, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:

> I haven't looked into getting a printer for use with Linux for a number of
> years.  Can anyone recommend a well-supported, easy-to-install-and-use
> and inexpensive inkjet?
>
> My dad needs a printer (so far, he says he "likes [his Linux box] more
> and more" ;^) ), and has a friend who owns a computer shop that can
> recommend one.  I told him I'd ask around the LUGs, but also pointed them
> to the LinuxPrinting.org website, and mentioned that HP now supports inkjets
> (via hpinkjet.sf.net).
>
> Thx in advance!

I'd recommend a refurbed laserjet as an ultimately cheaper alternative.

  - Price the printer.
  - Figure your duty cycle.
  - Price the ink.
  - Factor in ease-of-use of a networked Postscript printer.

I'm seeing ~$250 for an HPLJ4 (what I've got).  I _wouldn't_ go with a
III as they are:

  - Fscking huge.
  - Require dedicated nuclear power.

I'm still on my first toner cart three years on with the LJ4.  Works
like a champ.  Just keep it powered off most of the time as there is a
significant power draw.

Picked it up at Fast Copier/Printer Service in Mountain View.

    http://therightcomputer.safeshopper.com/3/cat3.htm
    http://www.officetronics.com/index.cfm/vAction/itemList/vProductID/11/vBrandID/8
    http://www.printerworks.com/Printers/Laser-Printers.html

Inkjets are slow, messy, and expensive.  They do pretty colors though.

Peace.

    DON'T PANIC