2004 Mar 22 07:18

[vox] Demo wrap-up

LUGOD held a hands-on Linux demo at the Davis Food Co-Op yesterday from 2pm
to 7pm.  It was fairly slow until the very end, when things ramped up
quite suddenly.

Trevor and I kept ourselves busy playing with his freshly-installed Gentoo
system, and ran Armagetron (a very nice 3D 'Tron' lightcycle game) and XMMS,
among other things, to try and lure people. :^)

Tim Riley had just sent us 10 more copies of Knoppix, and only 1 or 2 were
left by the end of the event.  I had whipped up a little flyer that listed
some useful Open Source software that Windows users could try out
(like Mozilla and OpenOffice.org) -- based off of some of the content they
have up at TheOpenCD.org.

I didn't get a chance to photocopy it, but the on-duty manager of the Co-Op
(Ray, I think his name is; sorry!) wanted a copy, so he ran off and made
one for himself, and 10 or 12 more for us to hand out.  Those ended up being
pretty popular, so I'm going to make a little 3-fold handout to put places
like the Davis Library. ;^)

Mikal, who Trevor was helping with Gentoo at the Installfest
(his CDROM shows up as IDE-Floppy, it seems!) came by the Co-Op to get
more help, and to help us demo.  Jan Wynholds and Dave Margolis both popped
in, as well.  Jan just to say 'hi', and Dave came to drop off some books for
the upcoming event down in Mountain View.

Towards the end of the event, Mike Simons showed up with Todd Trichler
from Oracle Technology Network (OTN), who had come all the way from Denver
for the Installfest.  (Okay... so he was in the bay area already ;^) )

Mike, Daphne, Trevor, Todd and I went to Sophia's Thai Kitchen in downtown
Davis (and met Emily and Dmitriy there), and Todd/Oracle was kind enough to
buy dinner for us all!

I thought I'd also share this:  Todd said that of all the LUGs he's ever
been to, he feels we're one of the most well-organized and professional
ones out there.  :^)

So let's all keep up the good work! ;^)

-bill!
root@lugod.org  [not for long!!!]