2004 Mar 20 20:36

[vox] Java diss (Was re: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old)

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 03:12:43PM -0800, Norm Matloff wrote:
> But it's the truth.  "Which nobody can deny." :-)

Hehe...  Honestly, I was once again unimpressed by Java the other day when
a friend showed me what games she has on her cellphone[*].
One game took over 30 seconds to load!  I don't think the game was even
interesting enough to PLAY for 30 seconds!

-bill!
[*] I program cellphone games, and am lucky(?) enough to be able to do them
    in C.  Her phone is similar to models I've programmed for, but her's
    uses Java, rather than the C-based "BREW" environment.
    I've seen some BREW phones take 30 seconds to 'boot up', but that's rare.
    And I've yet to see any game or application take that long to load!