2004 Mar 10 01:20

Re: [vox] Interest in KDE talk?

<snip>

Also, since the Linux desktop project has decided to
abandon KDE because of the cost associated with QT,
would you be able to give an update on what Trolltech
and the KDE team are doing in reaction to this challenge?

I'm also only vaguely familiar with this, and I thought that they said
they WEREN'T actually abandoning KDE, after all.  (Statement by Perens,
I think?  I'd need to dig that up, too.)

Also, can you clarify... by "cost" do you mean monetary (price) or some
other cost (like size, complexity, etc.)?

I think the cost concern is that Trolltech requires you to buy a license if you want to develop QT apps for other platforms. GTK is gpl/free on any platform.

I've also read that SCO owns a percentage of Trolltech... probably doesn't mean anything, but still doesn't sit well with me.

Charles