2004 Mar 19 10:27

Re: [vox] Interest in KDE talk?

On 2004.03.09 21:08, Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:54:26PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> I've been avoiding that bloated window manager for a while, preferring
GTK
> apps when I have the choice, but I nevertheless prefer to program in QT.

> I'd love to hear what's new in KDE (the last KDE I really used was 2. x).

3.2 is really a world away from 2.x :^)

I'm keeping an eye on Gnome (have XChat 2 and Gimp 1.2.5, waiting to
figure
out the cleanest way to get Gimp 2.0 installed on my now-hybrid
Debian/Woody
system), but I'm definitely currently 'sold' on the KDE environment.

In a way, I almost think of KDE for Linux in the same way I think of
Linux for PCs.

We're at a point where almost ANYTHING you need to do can be done
entirely under Linux. Office? OpenOffice.org/etc. Paint/photo? Gimp.
Web browsing? Mozilla/etc.

I think we're coming to a point where almost anything you want to do
under LINUX can be done under KDE. Office? KOffice.
Web browsing? Konqueror. Instant Messenging? Kopete.

While I appreciate the variety Linux offers
(Mozilla/Galeon/Konqueror/etc.,
OpenOffice.org/GNOME Office/KOffice/etc.), I do also greatly enjoy the
integration KDE apps seem to have. (Apparently, GNOME is getting better,
too;
I just haven't used GNOME 2 really.)

For example, a little thing I've noticed, but a nice touch... almost
every app has a "Help" menu which contains a "Report Bug..." option.
That launches a web browser that jumps to the KDE bug website, and
automagically fills out a number of fields in the wizard there.
Very cool. :^) (Admittedly, I do remember GNOME 1.x having something
like
this, but I don't remember if it was as consistent or as integrated.)

Anyway, as they've said the past 5 years, 2004 is the year of the Linux
desktop. ;^) [*]

And every year, the desktops have gotten much better :)
I'm not sure what "year of the linux desktop" is supposed to entail, but we've started getting vendors interested in this too, so I don't think it's a misnomer.

I'm really interested in trying out some KDE Apps (particularly in seeing KOrganizer/KPilot work better for me than JPilot), but for others, the GNOME equivalent seems more interesting.

For one, I'm very sold on Galeon.

For another, Nautilus in 2.6 is supposed to be "Spatial Nautilus" and it seems like it will bring back the good parts of the MacOS Finder of olde (i particularly liked how the classic finder would remember where I left icons and open up folders in new windows that remembered their size - nothing's done that for me in years).

I don't think I'll ever standardize on one desktop environment.