2004 Mar 09 22:28

Re: [vox] Interest in KDE talk?

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:40:04PM -0800, Edward Elliott wrote:
> I also love Open Office and I would be interested in
> understanding more about what is shared and what is
> diverging between the overlapping apps in OO and KDE.

Hrm... I'm not really familiar with OOo vs KDE, except that there are
projects to "KDE-ify" OpenOffice.org, and to standardize on the
OpenOffice.org file format standard (OASIS).

I suppose I could spend some time doing research on these subjects for
a talk. ;^)

> Also, since the Linux desktop project has decided to
> abandon KDE because of the cost associated with QT,
> would you be able to give an update on what Trolltech
> and the KDE team are doing in reaction to this challenge?

I'm also only vaguely familiar with this, and I thought that they said
they WEREN'T actually abandoning KDE, after all.  (Statement by Perens,
I think?  I'd need to dig that up, too.)

Also, can you clarify... by "cost" do you mean monetary (price) or some
other cost (like size, complexity, etc.)?

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com           "Hey Shatner, ya remember that episode of
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/   Space Trek where your show got cancelled?"