2004 Mar 01 14:34

[vox] Open Source and Security

Here is an excerpt from a post on the CVBIG list that I belong to:

[snip]
>The problems with Linux are that RedHat (our operating
> system) no longer supports further updates, the Linux operating system has
> three system vulnerabilities, which need to be fixed, and it is open source
> (I know I touched on something sacred here, but no programmer likes to redo
> old code, especially someone elses, so I'm concerned the security
> vulnerabilities will not get fixed).
[snip]

I feel like I'm totally missing something here....I thought that one of the big advantages of
OSS was increased security, precisely because the code is accessible and able to be
modified?  Or as a newbie is there some piece of information that I'm lacking?