January 6: Social gathering
2004 Feb 20 00:37

Re: [vox] Syncing Palm Pilot

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:12:04PM +0000, Rob Rogers wrote:
> I recently reinstalled Debian (I'm running Sarge) on my desktop.
> Normaly, I've compiled a custom kernel with everything built in, but
> this time around, I've decided to leave the default kernel there...I'm
> trying to learn more about modules and how initrd works and such.
>
> Anyways, with everything built in, my Palm has always just worked. For
> some reason now, I can't seem to get it working. I'm pretty positive
> I've got all the necessary drivers loaded. Following is what gets logged
> when I hit the hotsync button on the Palm cradle, and the output from
> lsmod. I should mention this is using USB, and I know usb-uhci is the
> proper usb controller...not to mention, my usb mouse works just fine.
>
> minerva:~# tail -4 /var/log/messages
> Feb 19 11:47:27 minerva -- MARK --
> Feb 19 11:48:02 minerva kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2,
> assigned device number 6
> Feb 19 11:48:02 minerva kernel: usb.c: USB device 6 (vend/prod
> 0x830/0x50) is not claimed by any active driver.
> Feb 19 11:49:14 minerva kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 6

This is not a problem with device files (at least not yet). By looking
up the vendor and product ID in my 2.6.3 kernel source, I conclude
that you are using a Palm m130. The correct kernel module (at least in
my 2.6.3) for handling these devices is visor, which I can see is
already loaded.

What kernel version are you using? Perhaps you need something more
recent. Palm m130 support appears to have been added in kernel 2.4.19.