2004 Feb 18 09:08

Re: [vox] Throttling router?

It's certainly possible to throttle incoming bandwidth, by sending an
ICMP Source Quench error when a connection is sending data too fast.
Although the remote host is free to ignore this error message, my
networking textbook (Stevens - TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1) tells me
that BSD ignores it for UDP but pays attention and slows down for TCP.
I'm not sure what other operating systems do.