2004 Feb 13 21:22

Re: [vox] Need Database Recommendation

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:06:46PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> The Yolo County Green Party wants a recommendation for an open source
> database program that they can use to track their membership.
> Does anybody have a recommendation?

Are they running on a Unix-like OS, like Linux or BSD?  Were they planning to
simply manage membership via one person (or a handful of people) sitting at
a desk with a computer?  (e.g., a desktop application would suffice as the
'interface' into the DB)  Or did they want it to be something web-accessible
and/or web-maintainable?

Obviously, MySQL has been mentioned.  There's also PostgreSQL.
I know very little about either. :^)

As for desktop apps for doing 'database stuff' under Linux, there's
OpenOffice.org, Rekall [ http://www.rekallrevealed.org/ ],
Kmysqladmin [ http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=10517 ] and
MySQL's own "MySQL Control Center", "Knoda" [ http://www.knoda.org/ ],
and probably many others.  (I mostly poked around kde-apps website ;) )

I know this doesn't really /recommend/ anything, but it will at least be
a start, in case someone feels like researching.

Really, though, it's important to know the _environment_ where the task
will take place.  (Desktop? Linux or Windows?  Webserver? Linux or..?
A particular database backend (MySQL/PostgreSQL/that's why they're asking)?
or none at all (e.g., standalone app with built-in DB)?)

:)

Good luck!