2004 Feb 10 11:16

[vox] cheating at quake

i read this on /. while drinking my morning coffee:

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/02/09/1942244.shtml?tid=127&tid=186&tid=204

the guy says:

   I want to get into online gaming, FPS gaming in particular. My
   problem is that Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, Quake and all the
   other popular games seem to be dominated by people using cheats, and
   by established clans of players who are a lot better than me.

i've heard of "aimbots" and "cheatbots".  i'd have to say that more
quake3 discussion have focussed on "i hate cheaters who use aimbots"
than any other discussion about the game.  it's funny to see everyone
jump on the "i hate cheaters because they ruin the game" bandwagon.

i very rarely play online because i get my ass kicked more often than
not.  but i get my ass kicked because there are some very good players
out there.  but never have i seen anyone make every single shot.  i've
never suspected that somebody was using a cheatbot.  nobody ever seemed
THAT good.  run rings around me?  yes.  machine-perfect playing?  no.

every so often, i'll devote about an hour to looking for an aimbot.
just out of curiosity.  not that i'd ever use it in an online game (i
understand that servers are protected against most of them).  but just
out of curiosity.  for instance, can i play the last level of quake3
against xaero on "nightmare" setting if i use an aimbot (i've only beat
that level once on "hardcore" and i was sweating afterwards)?  i'd like
to try.

so far, i have no evidence that these aimbots exist.  i haven't seen
them, and i haven't found one.  all i see is people saying they hate
them.  it doesn't even seem possible to write one.  there's no source
code.  how do you insert "hooks" into a proprietary executable?

i feel like the peasant in "the emporer's new clothes".

does anybody have proof that these things exist?!?

pete