2004 Jan 28 19:26

Re: [vox] [OT] Orkut.com (social network site)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Rod Roark wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 05:58 pm, zeruch@pvf.dibona.com wrote:
> > Suffice it to say, this is pretty standard faire, its practically
> > boilerplate.
> >
> > Basically falls under a legalese form of 'caveat emptor'
>
> "Let the buyer beware" does not really apply, as there is
> no purchase here.

Uh actually you are. You are buying into the use of the site. It's an
opportunity cost, but a cost nonetheless.

> Neither does labeling something as boilerplate constitute a
> reason for agreeing to it.

That is correct.  But I was making an observation on the fact that you
found this so unusual.  I don't, because I find it commonly.

> However I think "f*** off" is a reasonable response to
> "I want you to agree to whatever I may choose to impose on
> you in the future".  And no I don't care if it's legally
> enforcable.

Well then suit yourself.

> Sheesh.

Indeed.