2004 Jan 24 10:59

[vox] ISO: Another PII/PII... This time, for my dad :^)

[vox] ISO: Another PII/PII... This time, for my dad :^)

My dad's ancient Mac (a PowerMac, I think, running MacOS Classic and
Netscape 4.something) is showing its age.  I asked my dad what he does
with his computers these days (for a while, he was running some
'teach yourself Spanish' program, but no longer does that any more).

Right now, it's pretty much e-mail and web browsing -- his main concern being
ability to purchase stuff online (like at travel sites), which has been
becoming more of a problem with the old browser he's using.
(He tried to upgrade to a new Netscape, but apparently it required some
unavailable plug-in for the OLD Netscape... at least, that's what I gathered
from how he described it.)

Anyway, my brother suggested he shell out for a newer Mac to run OSX.
I think that's WAY overkill.  I think something similar to what we set up
for a kiosk at Chamonix (a ~350MHz Pentium II) would fit the bill quite
nicely, and work well for him for a number of years.  Also, upgrading would
be easier and cheaper, because of the huge amounts of Wintel stuff that
can be found out there, used.

So, I guess I'm asking if anyone has a PII level system that they'd be
willing to part with (name your price;  I have no idea what this stuff is
worth, obviously... the last one I got was all donated ;^) )

I think my dad could survive just fine in Linux with Mozilla and
either the Mozilla email client, or Evolution!  Heck, we can probably
get him doing a lot more with his computer, if he needs to, and without
paying $40 here, $20 there, and then having to upgrade his whole OS
(like he's had to do a few times with his Mac :^) )

Thx!