January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jan 16 03:57

Re: [vox] HP touts Linux 'for the real world', sets record with $2.5B Linux-based revenue

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 09:16:19PM -0800, Dave Margolis wrote:
> They do! http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/.  The drivers is basically an
> add-on to ghostscript and supports a ton of Deskjets, Business  Deskjets,
> Photosmarts, and some Laser pirnters too.  Also supported are some of the
> of combo (copy/print or scan/copy/print) devices.

SuWEEET!  I've been using a set of reverse-engineered drivers to run my
Deskjet 882c.  I believe it's 550c drivers, and the quality is quite poor
(very speckily).

Once upon a time, I looked at a newer version of the driver, which had MUCH
nicer color printouts (closer to the printer's capabilities), but it didn't
use the black ink cartridge, so it ended up using up TONS of ink, and literally
soaking the paper. :^)  So, I lived with it.  I rarely print anything
'important' in color, anyway.

I installed hpijs package in Woody, but unfortunately, it looks like there
are issues with that version.  (There seems to be a 'segfault if I'm compiled
with optimizations' bug.)

So, I'm checking apt-get.org for some newer versions, backported to Woody ;)