2004 Jan 12 22:29

Re: [vox] Kiosk disclaimers

Specific to browsers... This was possible with Netscape, and may work with
Mozilla:

Since many web browsers permit the user to select a program to deal with
applications of a certin MIME-type/extention, users can provide clever
work and specify the application to be a shell.

If such controls are immediately uunavailable, sometimes the dialog for
controlling it can be forced to appear by trying to download a file for
which no extention/mime type has been specified.

Such a technique was used in the "good (bad?) old days when hacking
mainframes at unis and large libs which had terminals connected to main
frames or mini computers which offered "lynx" through an online catalog.
(You cannot give me credit (blame?)  for this idea.)

There were some browsers that would actually "run" files that you
downloaded as a shell script if it ends with ".sh"