2004 Jan 01 21:34

Re: [vox] webhosting/shell recomendations?

Rob Rogers said:
> [sorry if this messages gets sent twice. the first one is "awaiting
> moderator approval" because I accidentally sent it from the wrong
> address]
>
> I'm looking to switch hosting providers, and was hoping someone could
> give me some suggestions of companies they've used and liked. I'm not
> currently doing that much with my hosting... 90% of my bandwidth is
> used for email, but I have started playing around with the Drupal CMS,
> and will probably be using it a lot more soon. My main requirement
> though is something with a full working shell.

I use Linode.com for a small mail and web server. They use User Mode Linux
to give you full root access to your own (virtual) Linux system. They
offer a pretty decent range of plans; I use the $20/month one and I've
found it adequate. You can choose from a bunch of preinstalled distros
(including Debian).

The one thing to look out for is RAM. The $20/month plan only gives you
64M RAM, which may not be adequate if you're planning on running a
memory-hungry application. I had to get rid of mod_perl in Apache and
tweak MaxSpareServers downward to keep the system out of swap. After that,
though, it's been running just fine.

Disclaimer: I have no financial affiliation with Linode.com. I am just a
customer.

--
No PGP signature because I'm far from home and sending via webmail.