Re: [vox] Re: (forw) [ILUG] EU guide to moving to OSS [from vox-tech]

on Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 01:23:13PM -0800, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:

> [ Moved from vox-tech ]
>
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 12:16:48PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Possibly useful for the "Why Not MS" page?
> <snip>
>
> Definitely a good pro-Linux kind of thing to point to.  I'd personally
> prefer to point to some news article on the subject, though, rather than
> the documents themselves.  Know of any reports on this topic?

Nice thing about documents:  there are some organizations which tend
toward a "debate by the pound" (or kilogram) approach.  Particularly
institutional ones.  The IDA documents themselves are useful in that
they provide a worksheet (and assumptions comments) for estimating
benefits of a proprietary => free software migration.  Even at highly
discounted software costs (e.g.:  governments and educational
institutions get ~95% discounts) I get a 10 month payback period.

Peace.

    First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I
    wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak
    up, because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the Catholics, and I
    didn't speak up, because I was a Protestant.  Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945