Re: [vox] Anyone have a spare Pentium II or thereabouts?

Re: [vox] Anyone have a spare Pentium II or thereabouts?

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 13:40, Bill Kendrick wrote:
[snip]

> I've got an old Pentium 133 that I'm finally going to stop using, and
> was thinking of donating it to the shop so that people who don't have
> laptops.  But for 'modern' web browsing, even with a bare-minimum Linux
> install, that's going to be mighty frustrating.

Yes and no. I just set my nephew up with a P233 64Mb ram (okay, so a
little more powerful than yours, but not much) using icewm and mozilla.
For most websites, it runs great. If you're even wanting more slim, try
epiphany (i don't think it supports ssl, though) from gnome 2.2.

> While that's still better than nothing, I figure I've seen so many PII/PIII
> machines 'needing a good home' fly by the LUG mailing lists over the past
> year or so, that it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask if anyone's got any
> spare they'd be willing to donate.
>
> The owner can't offer much more than a coffee card (which she jokes _I'd_
> use up in a week), and she'd be perfectly willing to let us put out a sign
> advertising LUGOD and Linux/Open Source.

That would be nice.

> I'd be willing to crack open my old notes on setting up KDE Kiosk framework
> to use Konqueror, or learn how to lock down Mozilla like was done (most
> excellently, I must say) on the machine running at the Co-Op.

IceWM would be very easy to lock down because you can make the start
button toolbar go away, there are no icons on the desktop, and it's
seriously lightwieght. I'm not sure about Epiphany, though. Also, their
is the phoenix offshoot of mozilla to consider as well.

> Thanks in advance!
>
> -bill!
> bill@newbreedsoftware.com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!
> http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/       http://newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/