[vox] Fonts for Gimp

I am trying to get the Gimp to recognize more fonts that I know are on my system. After a bit of Googling I came up with using the KDE Control Center to add fonts to the system. I added fonts from "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TTF". Most, if not all, were already listed in the Gimp font selection but I was not able to use them. Everything worked fine and I saved the changes. But.... when I opened the Gimp and tried to use any of the new fonts, Gimp crashed into a heap, instantly gone from the desktop. If I try to use the old fonts that I used before there is no crash.
Any ideas??
I am using Mandrake 9.1.

Thanks Dick