Re: [vox] Microsoft interested in our feelings

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Michael Wenk wrote:

> On Friday 19 December 2003 08:01 am, Larry Dieterich wrote:
>
> I don't consider it likely.   I think it may be that they actually are
> sincere, at least on one level.  Think about it, if they really wanted to try
> to undermine Linux, the user groups would be the LAST place to start.  The

No it wouldn't.  The ideal place is at the ground level (which is where
LUGs fall into).  If you can start a meme virus, LUGs would be one of the
fastest vectors for transmission.

> majority of people in the LUGs are hobbyists, and given that, what possible
> effect could they have?

You speak purely on your own observation.  I've seen things much
differently. 3M Corp (as do many large corporate entities) has their own
LUG, as do various US Military bases, and Universities (obviously).

And then you have things like SVLUG, which is mostly populated with
working stiffs in potential accounts.

In all those cases, they are either a way into a corporate account, a
defense contract (lucrative) or into a future MSDN subscriber.  That is a
big effect.  LUGs are exactly the first target I would go for were I in
MS's shoes.