[vox] Open Source talk at MOCC

My talk on Open Source and Linux at the Mission Oaks Computer Club seemed
to go quite well today.

People were genuinely interested in OpenOffice.org, and I gave out
EVERY LAST COPY I had on-hand (prob. around 20-25 discs)!
That wasn't even enough!

Surprisingly, I gave all but one copy of _Knoppix_ I had, too!
They didn't move right away, but once I re-explained just what the disc was,
the hands started going up to grab a copy. :^)

Before my presentation, a woman from a local school district(?) came to
hand out brochures and schedules for adult classes, and spoke about the
various introductory computing, and senior-oriented computing classes they
offer.

One thing she mentioned is that their computer labs all have Windows 2000
and Office XP, and they use a book on MS Word for their first couple of
'basics' courses.

A fellow in the audience asked if they offer discount copies of Office XP,
which they don't, although apparently you can go to CompUSA, say
"I'm a student," and get it for the reduced price.

She was under the weather, and couldn't stay for my part of the talk,
but I gave her a copy of OOo and a card, with the hopes that they may
consider switching.  At that point, they can GIVE AWAY the software!

I'm going to see if I can get in touch with her proactively
(goin' on the "OOoffensive"? ;^) ) to suggest it outright. ;^)

The only 'negative' feedback I got from the talk was a fellow who first
was asking how the world was supposed to work if noone got paid for software.
Hard question to respond to with limited time! :^)  He also had concern
that Open Source software has pirated code.  Well, there are a lot of reasons
why that'd be _hard_, for one... but even so, how's that different from
non-Open-Source, y'know? :^)

Fortunately, most of the rest of the audience wanted to 'move on.' :^)

Anyway, I had fun!  Slides are online:
  http://www.lugod.org/presentations/mocc-oss/