Re: [vox] Tivo question

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 no2@humboldt.edu wrote:

> > > That reminds me, anyone looking for a capture card, other than the
> > > PVR-250/350 from hauppauge
> > >
> > > PV-BT878P
> >
> > Sorry, sent before I was finished editing... That card you have is the
> > PV-BT878P. Anyone looking for a card other than the PVR-250/350 you need
> > to look for the BT878 or BT848 chipset (obvious right in your cards model
> > number). Some cards have been changing to unsupported chipsets (to
> > Conexant IIRC) without even changing model numbers on the card. Just a
> > heads up...
>
> I have a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250, which has the Conexant MPEG II encoder.
> Could the Conexant component be the reason why I haven't been able to get
> this thing working under Linux (or should I continue to blame that on my
> sheer incompetence)?  The TV tuner itself is supposedly a Phillips 7115.

I think this is correct.  I have a KWorld el-cheapo OEM card that I
got at a ma and pa computer store in sac.  I totally rolled the dice on
that one.  It has 878 in the model name, but I didn't know that was an
indicator of linux compatibility when I bought it.  It was $50, but I've
seen Happauge WinTV cards for as low as $30.

TV cards are going to be one of those things where the companies keep
their model numbers and packaging consistant as they rebadge various chipsets.

Bttv recognized the card immediately, but wouldn't show me any TV until I
learned the exact module parameters for my card (/sbin/modprobe bttv
card=78 tuner=2 audiomux=0).  Somewhere is a doc that says what all the
card numbers are.  Assuming your module is loading (doesn't throw an
error), but you still can't tune-in with Xawtv, investigate those card and
tuner paramters.

Dave