Re: [vox] Tivo question

On Monday 08 December 2003 06:53 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> can you list components on that?  that seems *awfully* cheap.  i'm
> interested because i haven't ruled this option out, but $300 seems
> too cheap.

It's fairly simple actually. You can find older PC's on EBay for < $200 and
some in the $100 range that will do the job. Remember, you don't need a
flying machine by any stretch of the imagine. It just has to be good enough.
Take this one, for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2770648713

In order to make it a total multimedia station, just add a TV tuner ($50 -
$75), IDE DVD/CD RW combo drive ($50), and a video card with TV out ($50),
and you're all set. If you have a wireless network that you want to connect
to, then you can add that card for < $50. (I just looked up these prices on
newegg.com. Refurbished hardware would be less.)

The part that's difficult is, as someone mentioned, configuring the TV out
part and making sure all these components are compatible.

If you already have an old PC sitting around gathering dust, then you're
halfway there and your price goes down to $150 - $200. If it already has some
of the components listed, then it's even cheaper.

-JM