Re: [vox] Tivo question

On Monday 08 December 2003 11:33 am, Dave Margolis wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/10/02/TiVoHacks.html
>
> This is a really good article.  I think I'm being told (by the same author
> of the book I'm reading) to nab an original series 1 Tivo, do the network
> add-on hack, pop in an extra hard-drive, and get to work.

Why bother? You can get a slim PC with cheap, commodity components, a TV
tuner, a graphics card with video out, install Freevo or MythTV with MPlayer,
Xine or your favorate DVD-capable video software, use XMLTV, and voila,
you've got your total Linux multimedia hub where you can rip DVD's to your
personal libraries, record TV shows, burn whatever you want to Video CD, DVD,
or whatever format you choose, and without any stupid DRM or pay-for-play
service restrictions.

By the way, No Starch Press is actively looking for a book on the subject :@)

-John Mark Walker
No Starch Press