Re: [vox] The Mystery of the Dying Laptop

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Richard Crawford wrote:

> This is not a Linux question, but it's sufficiently odd, I think, to pique
> the interest of many on this list.
>
> My wife has a Sony Vaio PCG-GRV 670 laptop -- a very nice one, with a 17"
> TFT screen, 128MB of RAM, a DVD/CD-R drive, 40GB hard drive, etc.

<snip>

Assuming this is a Windows machine based on some of your other comments.
What version? If it's one with an event log, have you viewed that? My W2k
Shuttle machine (actually dual-boot with Slackware, but that's another
story) has a tendancy to reboot itself at extremely random intervals when
I play Civ3. Each time, there was an event log entry to the effect that an
application error had forced a reboot (and we won't even get into how
insane it is for an application to bring down the whole machine).

And as the other reply said, check the BIOS overheat shutdown settings.
Perhaps it is a thermal issue. The desk upstairs might better help
dissipate heat than the table downstairs.