2003 Nov 24 00:28

Re: [vox] Outlaws redux

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 04:46:16PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> about a week(?) ago i sent a letter to the person in charge of
> lucasarts' "outlaws" (a pretty cool first person shooter) , asking him
> if it were possible to open source this nearly 10 year old engine.
>
> he seemed very into the idea, but had to run it by the legal department.
>
> here is the legal department's response.  i honestly don't comprehend
> everything about their reply, but it sounds like they may be a little
> confused about what open source means.

Their confusion probably stems from a common problem lawyers not acclimated to OSS/Free legalese is that they don't realize they are not giving up copyright/trademark ownership.

> any suggestions on what my response should be?
>
> would it be silly to contact someone like mad dog and ask him to take
> over "negotiations"?

Yes. He isn't a lawyer either (although he's a great spokesperson).  I do however, have a friend who may be able to give me (ergo you) some guidance.  She runs a trio of lawyers here in Silly Valley that deal a lot with open-source in the legal profession.

Gimme a few days.