2003 Nov 14 15:43

Re: [vox] [noreply@freshmeat.net: [fmII] Debian GNU/Linux Beta-1released (Sarge branch)]

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 13:44, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> Anyone on vox played around with this yet?
>
> This email is to inform you about the release of version 'Beta-1' of
> 'Debian GNU/Linux' through freshmeat.net. All URLs and other useful
> information can be found at
>
>     http://freshmeat.net/projects/debian/
>
> The changes in this release are as follows:
> For beta 1 of the Debian-Installer, images are available for the i386
> and PowerPC architectures. These images will install Debian's testing
> distribution (sarge). The Debian-Installer's INSTALLATION HOWTO
> provides a walkthrough of the install process. Please help by sending
> back the Install Report.

It's weird... Once you install Debian, you don't usually need to
re-install it.  I haven't ever found the need to reformat and reinstall
like I did with Windows.  I think this is due to apt-get.  I don't do
any major upgrades, only weekly downloads of the latest stuff.  But no
super-huge upgrades all at once.

I also read the Debian Weekly News (http://www.debian.org/News/weekly).
It's a good weekly newsletter about all the main Debian stuff without
all the RTFMs and general noise of the debian-* mailing lists.  The last
DWN said:

Debian Installer Beta 1. Joey Hess [34]announced the first beta
release of [35]debian-installer, the new installation system for
sarge. This first beta is available for the i386 and powerpc
architectures only. More architectures were said to follow in later
betas. Please see the [36]todo if you want to help out.

 34. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0311/msg00003.html
 35. http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
 36. http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/doc/TODO?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Sorry for the un-wrapped lines.

The usual installer for Debian is text-based, and I think this beta
gives the ability to use a graphical installer or a text installer to
invoke the same commands.  The stable install is pretty easy and the
menus are pretty clear in their instructions and also give you a sane
set of defaults.  SSH isn't installed with the core utils, but it asks
you if you want to run the SSH server or just have the client tools
available.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy@linuxwebguy.com>