2003 Nov 08 20:25

Re: [vox] "Thwarted Linux backdoor hints at smarter hacks"

Re: [vox] "Thwarted Linux backdoor hints at smarter hacks"

I'm not sure I'd give it a "VERY close".  I might give it a "pretty
close", maybe even a "very close", but not "VERY close"....  It wasn't
like someone ran across it by accident... the automation system (built to
protect the code) detected it, and a developer was just doing his job by
asking around people to see who made those changes and why when another
developer noticed it was a backdoor.  It was all part of the process, IMO,
and the process is in place to catch stuff like this.  The system
worked... just like how Linux works.  Kudos to the kernel team more than
anything else, I think.  Just by 2 pounds.

-Mark

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Rob Rogers wrote:

> Someone came VERY close to geting a backdoor into the kernel.
>
> http://securityfocus.com/news/7388

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/