January 6: Social gathering
2003 Nov 10 11:01

Re: [vox] [OT] Amusing WinXP EULA item

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> * The OS Components may include the Microsoft .NET
>    Framework. You may not disclose the results of any
>    benchmark test of the .NET Framework to any third party
>    without Microsoft's prior written approval.
>

> Kinda like:
>
> * By purchasing this car you agree that you will not disclose
>   its maximum speed to any third party without Honda's
>   prior written approval.

Actually this is a lot more common than you would think.  IBM, Oracle,
Borland, and many more have had similar language in their EULAs for a very
long time, and periodically it comes up as a bone of contention with
clients.

Its stupid, but its one of the few ways they view as a method to work in
their PR/Marketing depts. favor. Keeps bad spin attenuated (in theory)