2003 Nov 02 16:40

Re: [vox] Free Stuff

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Rod Roark wrote:

> Common sense tells us that rebates are offered when the
> vendor expects get out of paying many or most of them.
> Otherwise they could just lower the price and save
> themselves, their retailers and their customers a lot of
> hassle.

Not necessarily.  The vendor gets money from the interest from holding
onto your money even if they do give you a rebate.

And even if they do "get off" of paying most of their customers, if you're
diligent enough to follow through with the rebate then I'm sure you'll be
one of the few that'll be getting the rebate.  So whether you're the one
that gets the money or not depends on you, not them, so I don't see a
reason to tell diligent people to wait if they're gonna get the rebate.

I've never not gotten rebates.  For most of them, I just wait, and I get
'em.  I have a checklist of things I'm waiting rebates on, and I just
check 'em off as they come in.  Never a single problem except extra delays
on many rebates but it's not like I'm all that concerned about when I get
'em as long as I do.  Things that are made to hassle you are easy to
handle once you make a system and forget about 'em.

I sometimes check www.spoofee.com for rebates.  Not always 100% rebates,
but often quite good ones are posted.  I've never followed through with
any of 'em, except one time I found and used a rebate before it was posted
on spoofee so I know at least some of 'em are legit.  Some of their rebate
combos seem a little iffy (sometimes you end up *making* money) but I've
never tried 'em so I couldn't really say whether or not they work.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius