2003 Oct 24 16:04

[vox] ipod - what's the big deal?

i see ipod, ipod, ipod on the news.  on slashdot.  on google.

i'm trying to figure out -- what's the big deal?  portable mp3 players
have been around for, AFAIK, over 4 years now.

AFAICS, the only thing that makes them notable is who markets them and
how outrageously priced they are.  i've seen them retail for $400 for
20GB.  a friend of mine just bought a portable mp3 player for $300 with
an 80GB drive.

what about the ipod makes them so newsworthy?

pete