2003 Oct 08 01:46

Re: [vox] [OT] Old PCs == security breach?

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:33:10PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> [Rant]
>
> I was over at NYTimes reading an article linked-to from Slashdot, and I see
> this flashy HP ad on the right.
>
> Apparently, software isn't the reason for security problems these days.
> It's old hardware!  "Don't let old hardware make you a statistic", it says.
>
> "Safeguard your information with the HP [model XYZ] series.  Upgrade now."
>

> Uhh... I'm guessing a Pentium 1 running Linux or OpenBSD would be a
> HELLUVALOT safer than a multi-gigahertz system running a Microsoft OS.
> (See: http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=virus , for example...)
>

> What's sad is, there must be people out there that believe this kind of
> misinformation.
>

> Now, no knock against HP or their hardware.  Just against Evil Marketing. ;)

I wonder if this is true tho.  Older PCs, if you were to steal them have
little in the way of security to protect the information.  Now I am not
sure newer models have this(HP servers didn't have anything like that)
nor that it really matters, but hey it may be an idea for those out
there that want multilayered data defense.

:)