2003 Oct 02 11:54

RE: [SPAM] - Re: [vox] What would you do with...? - Found word(s) mp3 days list in the Text body.

Free mp3 server, perl scripts.  Runs ok and can push a playlist stream
to any ip address.
http://www.slimp3.com/su_downloads.html Works with any mp3 player, not
sure if it can handle ogg.  I would like the hardware device out in the
garage, but it's a little pricey for me. :(

Also, http://www.netjuke.org looks nice.  I haven't had time to play
with it yet but a co-worker who has says it seems to be working for him.

-sp

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-admin@lists.lugod.org [mailto:vox-admin@lists.lugod.org] On
Behalf Of ncarlson@aero.org
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 4:40 PM
To: vox@lists.lugod.org
Subject: [SPAM] - Re: [vox] What would you do with...? - Found word(s)
mp3 days list in the Text body.

On 1 Oct 2003 at 15:28, Richard Crawford wrote:
> So my question is:  if you had two spare perfectly functioning
> computers (a laptop and a tower) sitting around your house, what would

> you do with them?

Tower:
Get one of the mutha-fuggin' huge hard drives they have out these days
and turn it into
your house MP3 jukebox!

Back when I lived in one room, I used to do this, sort of.  I bought a
widget that had a
headphone jack on one end and the twin audio jacks for hi-fi systems on
the other end
(got it at RatShack), plugged the headphone end into the soundcard, the
audio jacks end
into the hi-fi, and I was good to go.

Yours would be more complex, but only slightly.  You'd set it up as a
headless terminal,
one NIC, very lightweight Linux install. Rip all your CDs to mp3 and
copy 'em on over.
Park the box near your stereo system and control mpg123 (or whatever)
remotely.

Slightly less cool but much more practical... do you have a firewall
yet?

--nicole twn