2003 Oct 01 13:12

Re: [vox] question for PDA users

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:32:17PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 02:41:39PM -0400, Rob Rogers wrote:
> > From what I've seen, I like the Zaurus keypad a little more than
> > I did the Treo, and I'm seriously considering that as my next PDA
> > purchase (although the new Palm's are looking nice too).
>
> When I first saw a photo the Zaurus, I knew I'd love the keyboard,
> since it looked very similar to the one I adored on my work pager,
> a Motorola Talkabout, or somesuch model.  (Similar to a RIM Blackberry.)

Actually, this reminds me, the new Zaurus (it was reviewed a few months
ago in Linux Journal) is a clamshell design (think laptop...folding with
screen on one half, and keyboard on the other) in about the same size as
the current models, making for a much larger keyboard. That's the one
I'm really looking foward to. They're only available in Japan now,
although a couple companies are importing them. (you either have to do
the Japanese to english software conversion yourself, or some places
will do it for you, but you end up getting an opened box from them)

When these came out it reminded me of my old Zaurus from 6-8 years ago.
It was actually a little larger, almost twice as thick, and a good bit
heavier than the current models, but it had a clamshell design, with a
good size screen, and a keyboard I actually liked. If you had small
enough fingers (and even then it was slightly cramped) you could
actually touchtype, although a little slowly.