January 6: Social gathering
2003 Sep 30 12:28

Re: [vox] (no subject)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Mike Harris wrote:

> So far I've had no luck with this problem.
> I've been trying to install this Linux on my new computer
> (Dell), and Slackware 9.1 finally has a recent enough
> kernel (2.4.22) to include Serial ATA support. (This compy
> has a 82801EB ICH5 SATA controller).
> any kernel, it hangs after the kernel message: "hda:
> attached ide-device", or something like that.
> Anyone know what I gotta do to get this guy running?

I still haven't downloaded 9.1 yet (forcing myself to wait until Weds for
academic reasons, quals tomorrow) so I can't comment directly. I would
suggest doing a Google Groups advanced search in alt.os.linux.slackware as
well as just a general search of other groups and websites. Then post your
query to the group if you find no results in that search or if the results
don't help. The group can be rather gruff if it thinks the answer has been
posted before and you just didn't bother to look for it, so be sure to do
some searching before posting and then indicate your search results in the
post. You should also be more specific about which Dell you have (model
number) and give examples of the LILO boot parameters you tried to load
other kernels.