2003 Sep 24 15:19

Re: [vox] suggestions for webcam

> I'd like to set up a webcam so I can communicate with my family which has
> scattered across the US, but I don't know how compatible they are with
> linux.  I run Mandrake 9.0.  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions
> for webcams that they know work with linux.

Every webcam I have ever plugged into my linux machines
(redhat/debian/suse) has worked.  It was sometimes a matter of figuring
out the chipset and loading the right drivers.  Other times, it just
loaded and worked.

I was using xawtv to view the signal and webcam_server to create a
streaming server.

I remember googling for "linux webcam" or something similar to find a
list of compatible devices.  I have 5 cameras, one Ezonics, two
logitech, one IBM, and one Magiccam (I think that's the brand) and they
all work.  Some of the newer cameras may not work yet.  I can get you
model numbers if necessary.  Ebay is a great source for cheap webcams.

webcam_server:  http://donn.dyndns.org/portalofnnod/webcam_server.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris