2003 Sep 20 13:20

Re: [vox] Crashing Dells?

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 10:00:38AM -0700, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I recently ran into someone with a brand new Dell Inspiron.  I asked him how
> he liked it, and he said he didn't like it.  He said it crashed all the time.
> I asked him how he knew it was the computer causing the crashes instead of
> the operating system.  He said that all the people he knows with Dell laptops
> have crashes, and that Dell has a reputation for having their laptops crash.
>
> I've never heard that.  And no one on this list serv has mentioned it when
> people ask for laptop recommendations.  So I am now asking whether anyone
> here has had a problem with crashing Dells.

I'm pretty sure it *has* been mentioned. I can't speak to today, but 4
years ago the company I worked with had Dell Inspirons, and I was less
than happy with them for the same reason. They were all running WinNT
with SPs through 5. WinNT has, of course, been known to crash, but the
Inspirons seemed to have a good deal more trouble.

-Micah