2003 Sep 13 22:05

[vox] SFSU OSS study status

I gave Lei and Sameer (from SFSU) a count of how many people we have
subscribed to our various mailing lists.  (195 total, based on vox-announce,
which should include almost _everyone_ on _any_ list)

They've in turn returned a list containing references (by number) to ~70%
of the subscribers.  (e.g., I tell them "195 people subscribed", they said
"okay, send e-mail to person 1, person 3, person 6, person 7...")

So that they can keep track of who has responded (again, they will not
be getting anyone's e-mail addresses, and will not be contacting anyone
in LUGOD directly, other than me), I've sent them a list of MD5 sums
corresponding to the people they want me to send to.
(In other words, instead of saying "Okay, we'll be e-mailing 'aaa@aaa.com',
'ccc@ccc.com...' ...", I tell them "The people you'll need to keep
track of will have coded IDs of '00abb16e978c57baac22576ce3a5e155'...")

When they send me the survey welcome message to send to the various people,
the URL inside the message will include a reference to your magic MD5 sum.
That prevents cheating, while still keeping everyone's addresses private.
(MD5 is a one-way algorithm)

Anyway, I expect to receive the actual text of the message early next
week, so people will be e-mailed then!

Thanks, everyone, for your patience, and potential participation. ;)