2003 Aug 20 22:39

Re: [vox] New virus?

I got one e-mail like that today.  I got an e-mail claiming to be a bounce
saying the email has an executable attachment (it had a PIF file, which
you can execute under windows, and though it was named .pif it was
actually an EXE file in disguise.)

I'm sure I didn't send it for many many awfully many reasons (one being
the X-Mailer).  But all that aside, my biggest concern right now is that I
got this e-mail on my e-mail account that's never been spammed before and
the one I guard with my life.  Oh man...

-Mark

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Wow - is there a new virus spreading around the 'net?
>
> I've been getting a lot of junk bounces (e.g., spam or virus _claims_ is
> from me, the delivery fails, and _I_ get the bounce response), as well as
> TONS of 'post by non-subscriber' alerts for the mailing lists I
> administer (including the vox-* ones, which I'm taking over for Pete while
> he's moving off to the East Coast).
>
> I guess I should poke around Cnet, news.google, Slashdot, and the other
> various news sites...
>
> -bill!
>
> --
> bill@newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!