January 6: Social gathering
2003 Aug 17 06:04

[vox] Re: Password NOT stolen at linuxworld

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:42:08PM -0700, Ryan Castellucci wrote:
> OK, guys, here's the scoop... Somebody 0wned my system at
> work, running debian testing. Installed this lovely password
> logger, and snagged my password when I used SCPed a file.
> I found a log file at /usr/lib/mem/mem
>
> Bastards....

Well, looks like someone installed the same rootkit on cal.net's
shell on or about april 24...

There's a rather large /usr/lib/mem/mem file on there, and I may
have ssh'd into zaphod from cal.net's shell server, and this
jackass got in from there. I am very, very irritated.

[ryan@shell1]-[pts/2]-[~/chkrootkit-0.41]
$ ./chkproc -v
PID    14: not in readdir output
PID    14: not in ps output
You have     1 process hidden for readdir command
You have     1 process hidden for ps command

$ ls -al /usr/lib/mem/mem
-rw--w--w-    1 root     root      2693070 Aug 17 04:40 /usr/lib/mem/mem

$ ls -al /usr/lib/mem
total 44
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        27976 Apr  9 13:31
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr 24 15:26 .
drwxr-xr-x   24 root     root        12288 Apr 24 15:25 ..